Second, we trade Carl Crawford for Justin Upton. I know Crawford only had one bad season with us, but Justin Upton is a beast. The Diamondbacks will be reluctant about trading him so we'll have to throw in a prospect who can play in the bigs like Ryan Kalish or Lars Anderson. Crawford is 30, Upton is 23. Crawford hits 20 Homeruns, Upton hits 30 Homeruns. Crawford is a 20-40 man, but bats seventh in the order which doesn't give us much production. Upton is a potential 30-30 man, who bats third or fourth in the order, which give him the chance to drive in over a hundred RBIs.
Third, we trade Kevin Youkilis and a prospect or two for Hanley Ramirez. Hanley doesn't want to play third and we need a shortstop. Youkilis would be beneficial for the Marlins. He's a power third baseman, a Gold Glove defender and vetern presence that would really help the young talent. But Hanley would really be able to hit in Fenway. He would hit a good amount of homeruns and a lot of doubles off the Green Monster.
Now that will leave a third base problem...or will it? Will Middlebrooks, the top Red Sox prospect, will be ready to play in the bigs by May. We'll have to stick Mike Aviles and Nick Punto at third until then. But Middlebrooks has Youkilis' power and a good glove. He will hit for a higher average and have more doubles than home runs. Plus there won't be a lot of pressure on him because I have him hitting late in the line up.
The lineup and rotation would look like this.
- Hanley Ramirez .300/92/163/28/2/21/76/32 (2010)
- Dustin Pedroia .307/102/195/37/3/21/91/26
- Jacoby Ellsbury .321/119/212/46/5/32/105/39
- Justin Upton .289/105/171/39/5/31/88/21
- Adrian Gonzalez .338/108/213/45/3/27/117/1
- David Ortiz .309/84/162/40/1/29/96/1
- Jason Bay .267/103/142/29/3/36/119/13 (2009)
- Will Middlebrooks .285/62/125/26/1/23/94/10
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia .235/52/084/23/3/16/56/1
The rotation is suspect, but hopefully the 1,2,3 will be solid.
- Josh Beckett
- Jon Lester
- Clay Buchholtz
- Daniel Bard
- Aaron Cook/Andrew Miller/Vicente Padilla/Felix Doubront
- Andrew Bailey
- Mark Meloncon
- Franklin Morales
- Clayton Mortensen
- Rich Hill
- Matt Albers
- Afredo Aceves